Happy Birthday, StudyZone!
Mar 22, 2012 by W Editor
It may be just a year old but we think our online training platform is punching well above its weight. Read on to see why. Oh, and don't miss the bit where we give away a free StudyPass to a lucky KnowHow user.
Today is Study Zone's first birthday. We're celebrating with virtual cake, a review of what we've learnt so far, some stats and facts, and, in typical KnowHow fashion, a celebratory gift for one of our StudyZone learners.
StudyZone one year on...
- is the only e-learning platform for the voluntary sector that is user-led, sector-specific and delivered in a multimedia format
- 27 courses have already been published, one more to be released before Easter
- courses cover a wide range of topics including fundraising, leadership, strategy, communications, impact and more (see full list of courses)
- Strategy made easy, Setting up a social enterprise and the Trustee training pack are our bestsellers
- we've received 30 requests for new courses and have accepted 24
- we've worked with 24 trainers, both from the voluntary and the private sector.
In November, we launched StudyPass, our subscription service for individuals and organisations. Now you can get all our courses from just £9.99 a month. The subscriptions for individuals and small organisations are our best-selling StudyPasses.
What we've learnt along the way
StudyZone has been a big learning curve for us and there are a few key lessons we want to share:
- giving away lots of free videos helps people decide if this type of learning is right for them
- many of our users find the transcripts to the videos very useful and say they re-enforce the learning
- each 30-minute course takes us an average of five days to produce
- people often use the videos as a way of finding out whether a particular trainer might be useful to them offline too
- some of our trainers have got work as a result of delivering training on StudyZone
- listening to our users and doing lots of user-testing is the only way to make StudyZone better.
Celebrate with us and get free training for a month!
- your suggestions on how we can make StudyZone better for you.
All participants get a virtual StudyZone cake via email and one of you gets a free StudyPass subscription for a month.
More free stuff!
We’ve got three courses for you to watch for free. If you like what you see, and more importantly learn from it, why not get a StudyPass subscription to all our courses from just £9.99 a month?
- Write a winning fundraising bid
- Organisational values: how to practise what we preach
- Career reboot: getting a job in the voluntary sector in tough times
Who has learnt with StudyZone?
Here are just some of the great organisations that have become StudyZone learners over the past year:
- St. John’s Ambulance
- Age Concern Exmouth
- Horsham Area Council for Voluntary Service
- The Old Operating Theatre
- Community Action: MK
- British Trust for Conservation Volunteers
- Southampton Solent University
- Vanilla Ventures
- Holbeck Elderly Aid
- Minginish Community Hall
- Walk With You
Who has delivered training on StudyZone?
We have worked with some amazing trainers and voluntary sector experts to produce the courses in StudyZone. Our training library wouldn't exist today if it weren't for their generously given time, effort and expertise.
- The Cass Centre for Charity Effectiveness
- Charities' Evaluation Services
- Be Inspired Films
- nfp Voice
- Careers for a Cause
- Msizi Africa - Lucy Caslon
- DHA Communications
- PA Consulting Group
- Tara Daynes HR
- Fifth Estate - Gill Dandy
- Rob Jackson Consulting
- John Lees Careers
- Anne Nichols Communications
- Side Step 4 Ltd. - Mark Craddock
- Mark Freeman and Associates
- Tristan Callaghan
What you’ve said about StudyZone
We’ve received some lovely feedback from you! Re-reading your comments is even better than cake! Here's a selection:
Ash Daswani, StudyZone learner
“All my Trustees are new to the role, so the guidance and information that I have picked up from the online training guides has been second to none. The courses are well presented, the videos are precise, informative and offered in plain English, making them so easy to understand and apply. I would recommend anyone working within the nonprofit sector to use the guides as an ongoing support tool when running a charity”.
Gareth Eglinton, Community Action MK, StudyPass subscriber
"Thanks again - we'll be resigning up after this three months. It's an incredible resource for an organisation like ours, especially when training budgets are getting tighter and tighter."
Trainer Tom Rowson, PA Consulting Group
"KnowHow made the experience of being a trainer smooth and positive. In advance, the KnowHow team provided me with a combination of a clear brief and top tips to enable me to prepare. While on the one hand, KnowHow expressed warm gratitude for me giving them some of my time, on the other, it was a positive learning experience for me!"
Send your birthday wishes to StudyZone
If you have a birthday wish and a suggestion on how we can make StudyZone better for you drop us a quick email at firstname.lastname@example.org or write to us on Facebook or Twitter and we'll put your name in the hat for that free StudyPass.